- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist specializing in complex trauma and dissociative conditions, mood disorders, addiction, co-dependency and performance enhancement
- Experienced with teens and adults
- EMDR certified therapist and EMDRIA Consultant in Training, plus other advanced training in trauma ( Internal Family Systems , Somatic Attachment Therapy, Structural Dissociation)
2012-present Psychotherapist, Private Pratice, San Rafael, CA
- Psychotherapy for adults and teens specializing in the treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, substance abuse, co-dependency, mood disorders and addictions (chemical dependency and process addictions (sex & love addiction, compulsive eating, shopping, gaming and gambling.)
- Integrative approach: Drawing from IFS, Structural Dissociation, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Somatic Therapy, Solution Focused, and EMDR depending on client needs
- Provided individual, family and group psychotherapy to patients in need of Kaiser’s most intense level of care for drug/alcohol addiction
- Taught classes in various aspects of recovery including living well sober and creating a new life, relapse prevention, handling cravings, mindfulness in recovery, anxiety and panic alleviation. Often used Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction and Acceptance & Commitment Therapy
- Worked as part of a multi-disciplinary team in both Day Treatment and Continuing Recovery as patients progressed throughout the long-term program
- Provided individual (adolescents and adults), couples and family psychotherapy in both chemical dependency and HIV departments.
- Facilitated women’s group in the Intensive Recovery Program
- Implemented EMDR into treatment for appropriate clients - significant success in PTSD symtomology, depression, reduction of urge and triggers to drug use for chemically dependent adults
- Provided individual (children, adolescents and adults), and family psychotherapy in a private practice setting, emphasizing a Cognitive Behavioral approach and EMDR
- Most clients in this practice were high functioning individuals diagnosed with mood disorders
- Provided individual, couples and family psychotherapy to opiate (and polysubstance) dependent clients, ages 20-73 who were primarily dual diagnosis.
- Implemented EMDR into treatment for appropriate clients
- Co-facilitated women’s group
- Psychotherapy for adolescents involved with juvenile justice system and their families on issues such as substance abuse, eating disorders, depression, anxiety, interpersonal and family conflict/abuse/neglect, career/academic issues, and legal trouble leading to observable improvements in mood, academic and interpersonal performance
- Counseled and designed treatment plans for children in 1st through 5th grades on issues such as ADHD, depression, anxiety, interpersonal and family conflict/abuse/neglect, classroom misbehavior
- Provided telephone crisis intervention and counseling to diverse group of elderly clients
2013 EMDR Level III training with Laurel Parnell, Ph.D.
2009 The EMDR Institute – Levels I and II
2008 Masters in Counseling Psychology, University of San Francisco
1995 Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of Colorado, Boulder
Continuing Education, Trainings and Workshops
Monthly IFS case consultation with Colleen West, LMFT
September 2019 - Ongoing
IFSCA: Comprehensive 16 Week IFS Course, IFS Canada
IFSCA:Treating OCD with IFS: Melissa Mose, Ph.D., LMFT
IFSCA: Advanced Weekend - Healing Preverbal Attachment Trauma with Colleen West
IFS Institute's Continuity Group: Introduction to Somatic IFS: An Embodied Approach to Healing Trauma with Susan McConnell, Ph.D.
August 2022 - present
IFS & The Voices of Addiction - IFS Institute
January - March 2021
Monthly IFS and Structural Dissociation training with Colleen West, LMFT
January - August 2020
Treating Complex Trauma with Internal Family Systems (IFS)
Frank Anderson, M.D.
Internal Family Systems (IFS) Therapy
Richard Schwartz, Ph.D.
October, 2019 - Scotts Valley, CA
Structural Dissociation and Internal Family Systems Consultation Group - ongoing monthly with Colleen West, MFT in El Cerrito, CA
Complex Trauma Certification Training Level 1 & 2 (CCTP/CCTP-II) Course with Janina Fisher, Ph.D.
Treating Dissociative Disorders with EMDR: The Progressive Approach
Dolores Mosquera, Ph.D. - Natick, MA
At the Crossroads of Trauma Therapy: Integrating EMDR, Structural Dissociation, Attachment Repair & Internal Family Systems
Rachel Walker, MFT
November 2018 - Oakland, CA
Somatic Attachment Therapy
Karen Rachels, LMFT - Author of Body, Brain, Love: A Therapist's Workbook for Affect Regulation and Somatic Attachment
January - August 2017, Oakland, CA
EMDR Case Consultation with Laurel Parnell, Ph.D.
2014 - 2018 - monthly, San Rafael, CA
Understanding Addiction, Recovery & Trauma Through a Child's Eyes
Jerry Moe, M.A.
Hazeldon Betty Ford Graduate School of Addiction Studies
Anxiety Disorders in Children & Adolescents: Recognizing & Treating the Emerging Epidemic
Paul Foxman, Ph.D.
September, 2016 - San Francisco, CA
Image Transformation Therapy Workshop
Robert Miller, Ph.D., LMFT
May 2016 - Berkekley, CA
The Broken Lens: The Impact of Trauma and Addiction on the Way We View the World
The Refuge & Brennon Moore, M.S. CTT, CADC-II
April, 2016 - San Francisco, CA
Feeling State Addiction Protocol Workshop
Robert Miller, Ph.D., LMFT
May 2016 - Oakland, CA
Treating Binge Eating Disorder and Sugar Addiction with Intentional Eating
California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists
October, 2015 - Corte Madera, CA
Externship in Emotionally Focused Therapy
International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy & Alliant University
Completion June, 2014 - Sacramento, CA
EMDR Case Consultation Hours for EMDR International Association Certification
Harriet Sage, LMFT - EMDRIA Approved Consultant
Completed April 2014
Attachment Focused EMDR: Healing Developmental Deficits in Adults Abused as Children
Alliant University with Laurel Parnell, Ph.D.
Completion December, 2013 - San Francisco, CA
EMDR Training Parts I,II and III
Laurel Parnell, Ph.D
February, 2012 - Burlingame, CA
New Trends in Cognitive Behavior Therapy: Advanced Evidence-Based Techniques
John Ludgate, Ph.D.
February, 2011 - San Francisco, CA
Dialectical Behavior Therapy with Borderline Clients
September, 2010 - Santa Rosa, CA
Over 75 Quick, "On the Spot" Techniques for Children with Emotional & Behavioral Problems
Steven T. Olivas, Ph.D.
March, 2010 - Oakland, CA
EMDR Basic Training - EMDR Institute
Gerald Puk, Ph.D.
January, 2009 - South San Francisco, CA
Professional Development & Associations
EMDR International Association
Internal Family Systems Institute
California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
California Domestic Violence Counselor Certification – 2003
Coming Home Project Volunteer Therapist serving veterans